Saturday 5 November 2011

Time with Him......a short story by Rosemary

Time with Him


It was still quite dark but the promise of dawn was beginning to brighten up the horizon as I made my way to his door. As usual I was thinking of what had to be done that day and checked my watch to see if I had allowed myself time for this morning visit. There was so much I needed to talk to him about and ask him about, so much weighing down on my mind, so many tears welling up close to the surface ready to spill over. I knew I needed to spend more time with him.


As I reached his door I pulled the list I had written out of my pocket and checked my watch again, so much to do so much to say. I knocked on the door and waited for just a moment, then did what I had done so many times before and shoved my list roughly through his letter box and hurried down the road still carrying my burden of care. Vaguely I was aware of his door opening; I glanced back as I hurried around the corner and caught sight of him standing there my list in his hand and a sad smile on his face.


Next morning there I was again approaching his door, I knew I shouldn’t just post my list through his letterbox, I knew I needed to talk to him face to face, so I knocked and waited until he opened the door. His smile when he saw me was so warming. He opened the door wider and invited me inside. I could see a table laid for two and a delicious breakfast feast laid out. The smell of good food and the warmth from inside his home were so inviting I was really tempted to stay, but obviously he was expecting someone or he had a visitor already so I just handed him my list of requests thanked him for his time and quickly turned away and hurried on to start my day. I looked back as I turned the corner to give him a wave and I noticed him shaking his head sadly as he went back inside.


Yet the pain and anguish still remained in my heart, I really knew I shouldn’t just give him a list of my cares I knew I needed to talk to him properly as I have before, not just a quick hello but a real conversation. I knew I needed to listen to him. I remembered that whenever I spent quality time with him my heart grew peaceful even when my problems remained. So the next morning as I approached his door I determined that if he invited me in I really needed to accept his invitation and stay awhile with him. I knocked as usual, maybe he was so fed up with my rude behaviour he wouldn’t want anything to do with me anymore. The door opened and he smiled at me with his usual welcome and put his hand out to receive my list.


“I haven’t made a list today”, I said “I was hoping I could come in and talk like we used to”.


His smile grew wider and I saw, much to my surprise, a look of joy on his face - was that for me? I wondered. He ushered me into the warmth of his home. Again I saw a table set for two, and immediately felt awkward, obviously he was expecting someone, and I asked him if he had time for me as he must have a guest coming for breakfast. He laughed at that and said,


“This is for you. Each morning I expect you, each morning I long for you to stay and share what I have prepared for you. Each morning I long to listen to you and have you listen to me, come sit awhile, I know full well what you need to do today but time spent with me will not be wasted or lost. I long to strengthen you, teach you, encourage you. Come to me with your burdens and I will give you rest; I will quieten you with my love and rejoice over you with singing. You are my child and I love it when we spend time together. My child, remember I am always here for you and I love you. You do not have to face the day alone”.

1 comment: